[rescue] Suggestions for a *small form-factor* PC?

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Sun Apr 21 01:49:58 CDT 2002

On Saturday, April 20, 2002, at 09:08 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Huh?  Sbus network cards are all over the place.
>
>   I second the Real Computer recommendation, though.  Why use a PeeCee?
>
>      -Dave

Where?  Every Sbus Ethernet card I see on eBay gets jacked up towards
the end.  I would personally love to get one of the quad cards, but set
my sights on just a plan 10baseT or 10/100baseT card.

I got an IPX with Sbus CG-6 (I believe) free from someone at my Linux
Users Group (TriLUG) and upped the ram from 32MB to 48MB cheap.  I am
currently using it for DNS & Courier IMAP courtesy of OpenBSD.
Unfortunately, SpamAssassin brought it to it's knees.  Couldn't fork
anything and it had one panic, which I assume was some bug combined with
deadly low resources.  So right now I am dealing with Spam manually :)
I enjoyed the little guy so much I picked up another transceiver and
another IPX with 64MB/420MB HD for about $40 combined shipped.  This one
had an extra surprise which is an original SunPC card which I have no
idea what I would use it for...  Would love to use this one as a
firewall router with  OpenBSD or NetBSD but can't find a decently price
nic.  Also, both will be running via serial console.  I am still looking
for the sbus card, a 411 CD, a 411 HD case (I have 6 1GB SCSIs sitting
around and more small drives).

Thanks,
Bill