[rescue] GCC 3.0 Solaris 8

Nathaniel Grady nate at nutopia.org
Thu Apr 4 13:59:25 CST 2002

> How does gcc 3.x code generation compare with 2.95? (not orig. wording :)

My understanding was that the optimization backend in gcc-2 had gotten too older-x86 chip specific and lacked the flexibility to do certain types of optimization for other platforms / newer x86 chips and this was supposed to be one of the major things slated for reworking in gcc-3. However now that i try and google for info about this I'm failing miserably so maybe i dreampt this :) Some bits and pieces I have come across are:

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#sparc-sun-solaris2* : "GCC 3.1 and later should properly support this. GCC 3.0 lacks the infrastructure necessary to support this configuration properly." so for ultra-sparc users gcc-3.1 is more or less necessary once released (mid-April planned).

Doesn't really explain much, but does indicate what was done: http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/features.html - I think the "static single assignment (SSA) representation support" must have been what I had read about earlier.

Disclaimer: You're probably best forgetting I tried to figure this stuff out at all and listening to someone who actually knows what they're talking about :)

--
-- Nathaniel Grady
   /*\              ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN