[rescue] Ultra 1 at UW-Madison SWAP Shop

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Thu Apr 4 14:47:30 CST 2002

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 01:31:02PM -0500, nick at snowman.net wrote:
> Woah.. wish I hadn't just started buying stuff.. 400/500mhz alpha for 300$
> is a steal
> 	Nick
>
> On Thu, 4 Apr 2002 wlewis at mailbag.com wrote:
>
> > Just thought I'd let everyone know that the UW surplus shop has an Ultra 1
> > available this week in case you're close and interested:
> >
> > Sun Ultra 1 - 143 mhz, 64mb, creator frame buffer video, CD-Rom, 2.1 gig H.D,
> > Keyboard, mouse, 19" monitor                                   $150
> >
> > They also have listed:
> >
> > Full System indigo II & indy/silicon graphics                  $50-$100
> > 3 Digital Alpha servers 3000/400/500 mhz                       $300-$350
> > 2 Digital Alpha server 1000A 266 mhz                           $200
> > 3 19" Racks                                                    $50-150
> > HP RISC 9000 800/G40 Gull System                               $25
> >
> > For more information and how to get there, the URL is:
> > http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/swap/swap.html
> >

> > William

Umm, not much of a steal, if that's really an Alpha 3000/400.  A 3000/400 is
a 125MHz 21064-series Alpha.  Early unit, I sold a bunch of later model
3000/600 series Alphas in 2000/early 2001 for right in that price range w/
256mb of RAM, CDs, monitors in some cases.  Guys off this list bought some
of that gear...

That description is just far too cryptic to make any sense of.  The only other
option is that those are Digital Server 3xxx series boxes, which are
white-box versions of AlphaServer 800s.  That's not a bad price for those,
but it's not unobtanium on eBay, etc.  I do believe that most of the Digital
Server generation of white-box Alphas have now been documented to be
hackable w/ straight SRM firmware for running Tru64/OpenVMS, so that's a
good value in that case.  I think I have the links for that information
somewhere if somebody ends up buying one.

On the other hand, the 1000A 4/266 is a *real* steal @ $200.  That's what I
use at home for a server now (until I get my hands on an AlphaServer 1200
dual 5/533 that I've got my eyes on).  Nice, real server feel chassis w/
integrated StorageWorks drive bays, plenty of PCI expansion, etc.  This is a
gorgeous AlphaServer to work with, I love mine quite a bit...

BTW, if anybody is looking for older Alpha gear (or newer), I do still have
some stuff, recently updated @ http://junior.apk.net/~havoc/decgear.html.
After over 6 years of somewhat steady hardware trading and sales, I'm
finally going to get around to setting up a real website to list some of the
stuff I've got lying around soon :)

In the meantime, I do have a special for any interested list members at
the moment:

Alpha 3000/300X
175MHz 21064 Alpha
0MB RAM (uses 8 or 32mb 72-pin parity modules)
No disk
Keyboard, Mouse, cables
Digital Unix licenses (no, this doesn't consist of a fully legal transfer)
$50

I've got 4 of these at least at the moment, sitting on the pile at home.
I've also got a 3000/600 series machine sitting, if anyone's interested.
And 2 600MHz Personal Workstation 600au's as well, with another on the way.

And I'm *always* trading...Especially for faster Sun gear, my Ultra 1/200E
is starting to feel pathetic compared to some of you guys :)

(OH YEAH, for those of you that missed me, I'm back...<cue eerie
poltergeist-type music>)

Chris

Chris Petersen			  E-mail: havoc at apk.net
Systems Engineer, ExperTeam Services, EDS PLM Solutions