[rescue] two SCSI oddities

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 29 00:10:45 CST 2001

I have a stack of Seagate Elite 9 drives that I'm in the process of
verifying -- I'm one drive away from filling up my 12-bay SCSI
expansion pedestal :). Two questions have come up that I'm sure have
easy answers, but I'm getting nothing out of google:

1. I couldn't get the bus to sync at 10MB/sec until I, scratching
   head, removed the "terminator enable" jumper on the drives. It
   would only sync at 5 with that jumper in. What's the electrical
   reason for this?

2. Half of these drives ID as "SEAGATE-SX910800N-8514", and the other
   half as "SEAGATE-SX410800N-7116". One also ID's as
   "SEAGATE-SX410800N-7117". They're all labeled (physically, on the
   back of the drive) as ST410800N. format(1)'s 'type' command won't
   let me change the type. Seagate doesn't make a drive with model
   "ST910800N" ... what's going on here?

TIA to anyone who can set me straight.

Dan
--
Dan Debertin
airboss at nodewarrior.org
www.nodewarrior.org

Writing software is more fun than working.