[rescue] AIX 3 bits?

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 11:39:20 CST 2001

> > I use cptape or copytape or a read-tape/write_tape script I have run across
> > over the years.  If they can read the critter, it is toasteo city.  I was
                             can't   darn typeos.

> > thinking those ditties were in everyone's tookit?  (:+}}...
>
> Us people who live on the outer edges of the galaxy don't always know of
> such tools, or perhaps it's just that I don't know what I am doing (most
> likely).

No problem.  I come from a bit of the old school, where UNIX was spartan
at best, and you had to roll a tarball of your favorite dittys and carry
them around with you to every machine you adminned on, so as to flesh
out the critter.  That is what I call my ``admin's toolkit''.  Nowadays
it all is supposed to come pre-installed, or in the packages bits, or
similar, but, I still carry that toolkit around on cd, just in case.
It feels comfy like an old pair of slippers, as the analogy goes.

> I love old hardware, but I've only recently managed to be able to start
> sourcing sun's, alpha's, rs's, etc so I don't know everything that I
> should.

MeeToo, but I play with whatever I can float up from the flotsam and
jetsam (and judicious dumpster diving) around Moo U and elsewhere.
I kind of call it ``seat of the pants'' learning.

> I drool over the kind of equipment you guys are getting/got. My best
> SPARC machines are Mongoose MX10's and at present I can't even use them.
> (No O/S, but I'm working on it), my best usable is a SPARCstation LX

Gee I do too, since most of my stuff is the bilgewater flushings others
avoid.  Someday, a Cray or an Enterprise machine.... until then VAXtoys
and old Suntoyz, etc, will do, as long as I don't pay over a buck or two
for them, or they are uhaul'ems....(:+}}...

> I'll add cdtape/copytape to my list of must gets.

I can gather up a tookit tarball for you if you want and uuencode it
if you bounce me an email address and your mailer can handle a few
mb in one bite.  cdtape/cptape are only a few kb.

Bill, you got these kinds of things somewhere in a tookit tree on the
rescue archives?  I though everyone kept these things around.

Bob