[rescue] SMD

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 8 17:31:10 CST 2001

>    I've got a pile of them that I'd like to get rid of. They just require
> way too much power for their capacity to actually put them into service.
> The pedestal I have with a pair of 8" disks (700M? 900M?) is questionable,
> but since VME SCSI support in NetBSD/sun4 was somewhere between flaky and
> SOL last time I checked, SMD seems like my only choice if I want to have
> local disks on a 4/2xx.

Check with Dave.  I gave him 2 machines with special converted scsi
controllers of the internal/external type (one of the mods in one of
the faqs/blurbs/archives where you remove the internal terminators and
run cables both ways off the controller (internally up to the top and
externally out the back).  They worked fine for me.  There may be one
or more extra controllers in the box of vme boards I gave him, but I
forget offhand whether or not I converted those.  It was officially
unsupported, but what the heck, I won't tell Sun if you don't!  (:+}}...
Also, I have some hacks I just found in a box of papers about building
a special SunOS kernel that supported several of the scsi controllers.
I dunno if I still have that in electronic format, but I did run across
a couple of listings for configs and patches.  That was for SunOS 4.1
or 4.1.1, I think.  Since you are the ancient Sunmaster, aboard, we
ought to at least make sure your machines are running....(:+}}...

Bob