[rescue] Windows XP to be released on the Sun Blade 100

George Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 12 14:49:30 CST 2001

> Can you 'splain this please? I've got this U10/440 here that I'm trying
> to get working with SCSI, and if you tell me I'm better off putting the
> IDE drives back in and selling it to use the money to buy a U30 with a
> slower (??? lower MHz, anyway) CPU and built-in SCSI, I'll listen. But I
> wanna know why.

Zealotry aside?  An U10 w/ a 440/2meg processor is pretty studly.
assuming equivalent disk subsystems and no need for 64 bit PCI,
The U30 won't start to pull away from that U10 performance-wise until you
start playing with large amounts of RAM and Memory-Intensive applications.

The U30 is capable of 2-way bit interleaving if the memory banks are filled
in right, giving it a slight boost in memory bandwidth.  IIRC, it can also
handle more main memory, and might perform better with a heavy load of PCI
cards (I think the U30 had dual PCI busses)