[rescue] Windows XP to be released on the Sun Blade 100

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 12 15:21:44 CST 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, George Adkins wrote:

> Zealotry aside?  An U10 w/ a 440/2meg processor is pretty studly.
> assuming equivalent disk subsystems and no need for 64 bit PCI,
> The U30 won't start to pull away from that U10 performance-wise until you
> start playing with large amounts of RAM and Memory-Intensive applications.
>
> The U30 is capable of 2-way bit interleaving if the memory banks are filled
> in right, giving it a slight boost in memory bandwidth.  IIRC, it can also
> handle more main memory, and might perform better with a heavy load of PCI
> cards (I think the U30 had dual PCI busses)

4 PCI busses on 2 UPA ports.  One bus is 64-bit/66MHz and uses a dedicated
port, the other 3 hang off of 1 port and are 64-bit/33MHz.  The second
slot shares its bus with onboard I/O (SCSI/ethernet/etc).

2GB RAM vs 1GB in the U10.  2 UPA64S slots for Creator/Elite graphics vs 1
in the U10.

Provided you don't need the extra expandability and use a PCI SCSI card,
the two machines should be equivalent in speed.  Your 440MHz U10 will
actually be faster.

-James