[rescue] Re: [geeks] amanda

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 10 20:51:21 CST 2001

> In my mind, tapes are too damned expensive to waste space on. With Amanda
> DDS2 tapes are too small for some of my filesystems, and DLT tapes may be
> too big. The inability to span tapes and do multiple sessions per tape are
> major problems, for me at least.

so what do i use then?  what exactly are my options?  couple tens of thousands
for veritas?  i have $11.42 in the bank right now.  maybe it's not the best
solution, but it's the cheapest.  and it's getting better.

> My inability to find a decent (and inexpensive) automated tape backup
> solution led me to purchase a cheap x86 box with several gigs of IDE disk,
> set up a few rsyncs, and spin it off to a DDS2 tape changer with dump once a
> week or so.

except for two things.  i don't own any IDE or any x86 (with the exception of
my NetApp F330, and that barely counts) and don't plan on buying any.  ever.

i'd rather suffer through with what amanda is now, and spend my time and money
making it better.  but maybe that's just me.

-brian