[rescue] Re: [geeks] amanda

David Passmore rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 11 02:17:39 CST 2001

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 09:51:21PM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> so what do i use then?  what exactly are my options?  couple tens of thousands
> for veritas?  i have $11.42 in the bank right now.  maybe it's not the best
> solution, but it's the cheapest.  and it's getting better.

Amanda has had these limitations (and the complaints) for several years.
It is, as someone else has said, a design decision. It does not work out for
me for the reasons I stated earlier... that is all I was trying to say.

> except for two things.  i don't own any IDE or any x86 (with the exception of
> my NetApp F330, and that barely counts) and don't plan on buying any.  ever.

You make it sound as if I was replying directly to you and insulting your
honor. :)

They are, sometimes, the right tool for the job. I don't mean to spur any
religion or flames, so please accept my statements as my personal opinion.

> i'd rather suffer through with what amanda is now, and spend my time and money
> making it better.  but maybe that's just me.

I would love to see someone give Amanda these capabilities. If my solution
weren't working pretty well for me as it is, I would. But the Amanda code is
just ugly and it's not worth my time right now.

David