[rescue] Re: [geeks] amanda

David Passmore rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 10 20:16:26 CST 2001

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 08:23:52PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Now sure, there are a few things I don't like about it, but face
> it...it's the only game in town, and it DOES work rather well.

In my mind, tapes are too damned expensive to waste space on. With Amanda
DDS2 tapes are too small for some of my filesystems, and DLT tapes may be
too big. The inability to span tapes and do multiple sessions per tape are
major problems, for me at least.

My inability to find a decent (and inexpensive) automated tape backup
solution led me to purchase a cheap x86 box with several gigs of IDE disk,
set up a few rsyncs, and spin it off to a DDS2 tape changer with dump once a
week or so.

David