[rescue] tape drive with no SCSI

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 8 08:17:06 CST 2001

On November 8, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:30:50PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   ...then I'd have to develop a protocol to move the stuff over to the
> > other machine.  This is for unattended use. :-(
>
> Develop?  ssh and/or ufsdump aint good enough?
>
> I've been dumping stuff to remote tape drives for years.

  So have I.  That's not what's going on here.  Picture a long-term
running binary.  Periodically, I want it to traverse a B-tree and use
the write() system call to squirt memory images of some C structs out
to a tape.

  This is a commercial application; I'd sooner bite the bullet and
replace the machine than build a second machine just to support a tape
drive.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire