[rescue] Sun GT Support in SunOS/Solaris?

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 6 19:15:29 CST 2001

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Loomis, Rip wrote:

> So I'm finally getting around to attempting to test
> the Sun Graphics Tower box that Dave McGuire
> gave me several months back...and I'm (as expected)
> running into troubles.  Dave was pretty sure that it
> worked, but hadn't tested it recently, IIRC.

Ah, the GT, most evil beast.

> To the best of my knowledge I have a functional
> SBus card, GT external VME "box", GT-specific
> Sun monitor, and the connecting cabling.  Also to
> my knowledge, the GT is supported by *some*
> versions of SunOS 4.x, and by *some* versions of
> Solaris--but I'm not 100% sure which.  I'm trying to
> test it on a SunOS 4.1.4 system, but the card
> doesn't seem to be recognized.  I don't have install
> media for Solaris versions older than 2.5.1, which
> apparently doesn't support the GT.

Solaris up through 2.4 (SunOS 5.4) supports the GT.  I believe 4.1.4 will
work.

Question 1: have you run the GT self test?  Disconnect it from the host
card, set the switch to diag and watch the pretty pictures.

> Any clues as to what I need to tweak in order to get
> the GT supported (as a second "head" in addition to
> a CG6) on an Axil 245 running SunOS 4.1.4?  It's
> been *way* too long since I installed or played with
> SunOS, especially recompiling a kernel (if that's
> required, which I suspect it is).

You need to enable support in the kernel.  If you want to use it as a
console (WHY???) then you may be out of luck, I'm not quite sure.  Only
the SS2 or SS10 was ever a supported host for the GT.

Does the card show up with a show-devs in the OBP?

-James