[rescue] Sun GT Support in SunOS/Solaris?

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 6 15:54:40 CST 2001

All--
So I'm finally getting around to attempting to test
the Sun Graphics Tower box that Dave McGuire
gave me several months back...and I'm (as expected)
running into troubles.  Dave was pretty sure that it
worked, but hadn't tested it recently, IIRC.

To the best of my knowledge I have a functional
SBus card, GT external VME "box", GT-specific
Sun monitor, and the connecting cabling.  Also to
my knowledge, the GT is supported by *some*
versions of SunOS 4.x, and by *some* versions of
Solaris--but I'm not 100% sure which.  I'm trying to
test it on a SunOS 4.1.4 system, but the card
doesn't seem to be recognized.  I don't have install
media for Solaris versions older than 2.5.1, which
apparently doesn't support the GT.

Any clues as to what I need to tweak in order to get
the GT supported (as a second "head" in addition to
a CG6) on an Axil 245 running SunOS 4.1.4?  It's
been *way* too long since I installed or played with
SunOS, especially recompiling a kernel (if that's
required, which I suspect it is).

Thanks in advance...

  --Rip