[SunRescue] Rescued a Model 712/60

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 10:17:03 CDT 2001

> heh.  missed the headless bit.  yeah, that's a problem..  acutally, I did
> attempt a nextstep install on the 712/80 from a serial console.  (but with
> the graphice board, and monitor/kbd plugged in).  It gets *reeeal* angry
> shortly after booting the install image (though it will pretend to go
> along with it for a bit.)

sorta what i expected, but i thought i'd have it confirmed for me.

> If you need it to be headless, you're kind fucked. :)   Either HPUX, or
> the long descent into (what used to be, anyway) linux/parisc hell.

bah.  well, i've got HP-UX on CD here, so i _can_ install that if it ends up
that way.  eh, why the hell not.

> Which I kinda want you to do, just to find out if has become usable
> without having to do it myself. :)

i've got spare SCSI disks to stick in it, but it needs memory and a replacement
I/O board since the current one is flaky.  so, it may not happen anytime soon,
but once i get some memory and and io board i'd be willing to at least take a
stab at getting linux on it.

cheers,

-brian