[SunRescue] need SGI Personal Iris 4d/35 help

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 10:14:00 CDT 2001

> > ok, on to the questions, so i've got the new memory in these things, and so
> > i'd like to take a stab at getting IRIX on them.  i've got a copy of 5.3 that
> > i would like to put on the one with 88MB and a copy of 4.[mumble] to go on the
> > one with 40MB (which will really be my NetBSD test box once i start that)
>
> NetBSD doesn't run on them, so unless you're hunkering down for a porting
> effort, forget it. If you are, rock on!

actually, that's exactly what i'm planning. :)

> > ok, now, REALLY onto the questions, do i need a vid console to install IRIX
> > or can i do it from a serial console?
>
> You can do serial. No null modem adapter needed. My 4D/35 doesn't even
> have video hardware, and I'm able to use it without problems.

cool, that's what i wanted to hear.

> (Provided you don't consider an SGI machine without video in itself a
> "problem" ;)

well, in my plans for NetBSD i don't consider that a problem, since while i am
willing to try and get NetBSD to run on the thing don't ever expect me to write
a driver for that video hardware. :)

> > i would love to run the one headed, but not right now, so
> > where to i stick a serial console, and what magic wand do i need to
> > wave to make it all work?
>
> Serial port one. It's DB9 female.

nice, why can't more people use RJ45 serial ports though, i LOVE those. :)

> I'm on the lookout for a video board for mine. If you don't want one of
> yours, I'd happily buy it from you.

the one will run headed IRIX, but the other will never run headed, so if you
tell me how to remove the video hardware it's yours for what i paid for it
(free+shipping)

-brian