[SunRescue] need SGI Personal Iris 4d/35 help

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 23:32:25 CDT 2001

ok, got the new memory in them.  one machine now has 88MB and the other has
40MB which sadly leaves me with 2 8MB sticks since i need to put them in as
sets of four.  so if anyone has a lead on 8MB 4d/3x mem sticks please let me
know!!

ok, on to the questions, so i've got the new memory in these things, and so
i'd like to take a stab at getting IRIX on them.  i've got a copy of 5.3 that
i would like to put on the one with 88MB and a copy of 4.[mumble] to go on the
one with 40MB (which will really be my NetBSD test box once i start that)

ok, now, REALLY onto the questions, do i need a vid console to install IRIX
or can i do it from a serial console?  i could easily make/find a 3BNC-3BNC
cable and monitors that should work with this thing are no sweat either. but
i don't have a keyboard for it.  i would love to run the one headed, but not
right now, so where to i stick a serial console, and what magic wand do i need
to wave to make it all work?

thanks!!!

-brian (off to buy some 5.25"->3.5" drive adapters so i can put some smaller,
        larger capacity, lower power consumption, lower heat generating drives
        in these things)