[SunRescue] need SGI Personal Iris 4d/35 help

linc rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 08:10:07 CDT 2001

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> ok, got the new memory in them.  one machine now has 88MB and the other has
> 40MB which sadly leaves me with 2 8MB sticks since i need to put them in as
> sets of four.  so if anyone has a lead on 8MB 4d/3x mem sticks please let me
> know!!
>
> ok, on to the questions, so i've got the new memory in these things, and so
> i'd like to take a stab at getting IRIX on them.  i've got a copy of 5.3 that
> i would like to put on the one with 88MB and a copy of 4.[mumble] to go on the
> one with 40MB (which will really be my NetBSD test box once i start that)
>
> ok, now, REALLY onto the questions, do i need a vid console to install IRIX
> or can i do it from a serial console?  i could easily make/find a 3BNC-3BNC
> cable and monitors that should work with this thing are no sweat either. but
> i don't have a keyboard for it.  i would love to run the one headed, but not
> right now, so where to i stick a serial console, and what magic wand do i need
> to wave to make it all work?
>
> thanks!!!
>
> -brian (off to buy some 5.25"->3.5" drive adapters so i can put some smaller,
>         larger capacity, lower power consumption, lower heat generating drives
>         in these things)

Don't know for *sure* but I was told you can install from a serial console
however it's not supposed to be easy from there..  I would guess it's
easier from console using the 4.??...  As far as the drive situation, both
boxen have external scsi connectors.  Maybe just remove the internal ones
and hook a larger capacity smaller quieter drive up that way in an
external case.  I would check around though as those cases are designed
specifically with the components in mind to provide the correct cooling
because of the wrap-around skins on them.

-Linc.

--
  9:06am  up 42 days, 21:04,  5 users,  load average: 1.53, 1.64, 1.68