[SunRescue] PHP/MySQL/Apache for Solaris...

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 20:04:15 CDT 2001

Ken mumbled something about:

> Thanks for all the great info - if it wouldn't be too much bother, a set of
> PHP/MySQL/Apache executables that could be easily installed/copied into place
> would be great, and I am sure many others here would be interested...

i usually do sun packages.  or a tarball that Just Works(tm)

> My particular machine is Solaris 7, if it matters...

i'll make sure it doesn't.

> Well, I forgot about this...
>
> At home I had a CD-ROM I bought from www.nusphere.com that contained PHP,
> Apache, Perl & MySQL for Windows, Linux, and Solaris (!) I am installing it
> now, but the 1x speed CD-ROM is killing me!
>
> I forgot this had Solaris binary modules on it... Cool.

hmmmmm, are they current enough for you?  how current are they?  i really want
to build a PHP/Apache anyway since i want to start working with PHP, so it's
something i need, but on the other hand, of what you have is reasonably recent
then maybe i could slurp a copy of that.  although i'd also like a copy with
mod_perl built in as well.

which leads me to an interesting[sic] question: is it "good" or "bad" to have
Apache will all the crud built into it?  would i be better of, say building a
PHP/Apache and running it as php.arkham.ws and a seperate mod_perl/Apache and
run it as perl.arkham.ws or should i just build a PHP/mod_perl/Apache and run
it as www.arkham.ws? just curious, since i don't really know either way which
would be best from both a security and performance standpoint. i guess a point
(damn, almost a flawless bricktext without even working, too lazy to make it
a real bricktext) to keep in mind is that my web server is going to be an 8-way
SS1000 so multiple instances of Apache won't be so terrible. (ok, i don't have
it yet, and it's only a 2-way so far, but SM51s are cheap *G*)

cheers,

-brian