[SunRescue] Re: expensive paperweights

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 10:54:53 CDT 2001

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 03:26:21PM +0100, Dave Reader wrote:

> On Wed, 30 May 2001, Matthew Haas wrote:
>
> >  I've also seen these drives going fairly inexpensively, and was
> > considering purchasing one for use in a PC (external case)... aside from
> > running hot, would one want to trust a drive like this?
>
> They run cooler than modern 3.5" drives. Modern 3.5" drives /require/
> forced-air cooling.

A coupla notes:

1.  5400 rpm on the larger platters will give you
    -slower access times (heads have to move farther)
    -data transfer equiv to 7200 rpm (velocity at head is about the same)

if it is a 7200RPM drive, you will have data transfer (on sequential
read/writes) close to 3.5 inch 10K drives.

> >  For a server I probably wouldn't care as much... but for a personal
> > computer (and potential college computer), I don't want things to go awry
> > a couple months into the semester.
>
> IME good quality 5.25" drives easily out-last 3.5" drives.

These puppies cost around $800 or so new, IIRC, and they were built well.
Keep them away from vibrations and shock (newer drives are much better in
this regard) and they will last.

./patrick