[SunRescue] [OT] Digital Equipment Questions

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 08:22:09 CDT 2001

I also have a DECstation 5000/133.  Never been able to get mine to work
though.

>From what I've been able to find, there are no straight VGA cards for DEC
stations.  Further, the video ports are wierd, and I'm told that it is
rather difficult to get DECstations working with any non dec monitors.

To boot the machine to serial, just hook a serial term up to serial port
3, and don't hook up the DEC keyboard.  This forces it to boot to serial
console.  This is where I have trouble, I get to the boot prompt, but then
I can't type anything.  I almost wonder if the RCV line on the serial port
is broken (since the cable works fine on my Sun3).

>From this point, you should be able to use one of the netbsd on pmax
howtos to tell you how to boot the OS (my set of instruction are on my HD
at home).  You can also run linux, and I think OpenBSD.  Not to mention
Dunix.  I'm told that the only reason to use DUNIX is if you have a video
or other card that isn't supported under other OSs.  Most of the lower
level cards are supported.

I would think that you could string all the devices together, but I'd try
to get the machine booting properly before fiddling with extras.  I was
told that the external scsi chain needs to be terminated, even if there
are no external scsi devices.  Thus, I have a terminator attached to the
back of my DECstation.

On the alpha, you should at least be able to install linux.  I think that
OSF will also run on pretty much any alpha.  I don't think that VMS is an
option for that particular machine, but at the moment I'm too lazy to
double check.

I absolutely couldn't tell you which box the digital unix is for.

--
Joshua Boyd