[SunRescue] [OT] Digital Equipment Questions

Michael A. Turner rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 07:54:38 CDT 2001

	all,

	Since people seem to be groovy with me asking these questions here I
thought I would post them seeing as I KNOW that their are smart knowlegable
people here that can help me.

	I recently rescued some Digital equipment and need some questions
answered so first let me describe the equipment:

	The first unit is a DECstation 5000/133 , I also have for it a unit
called a storage exspansion that has some HUGE honking HD in it, two to be
exact, unknown size at this time. I also aquired an external case with a
tape drive in it that is part of this system. The fourth peice I beleive
goes with this system but I am not so sure. It is a Sierra Optical Hard
drive 1.3GB and I got a cd in caddy with it.

	The second unit is a Digital Alpha XL 300: boots up fine and has 128
megs of ram, 1gb hd , basically complete and working. Has redhat installed
(but I do not have the password) and the boot options have been upgraded to
win 2000.

	One copy of Digital Unix in a box, all original Media pluss several
hand made disk of unknown origin.

	Now the questions:

	1. In hooking all the items for the decstation up can I string them
together? all the peices have SCSI 1 style connectors on the backs of them,
matched pairs. I got cables that I can use to do this stringing together. I
am not sure if it makes a difference on which of the two connectors on the
back i hook to/From. Also do I need to terminate the last one with a plug in
terminator?

	2. I need some sort of monitor for this decstation, or some way to
read output. It has what appears to be a video card in one of the exspansion
slots. It is of BNC type with a screw type sheaf that I do have the cable
for. What can I do about getting some sort of signal for this, I got a lot
of cables with this (basically as we where cleaning out the store room this
was in I told them to through anything that said digital into my pile) so if
I should look for a particular cable for this let me know. Can I get a video
card for this system that does straight VGA? Anyone got one for trade/sale?

	3. What can I load on this to get it working and how can I load it?
Is their any way to hook a cd-rom drive to this to lead from that sort of
media?

	4. On the Alpha I want to load some sort of *nix operating system
but all teh docs I have read lead me to beleive that this is desinged for
windows NT, a bad thing in my opinion. I would like to load the digital unix
onthis machine but from reading the instructions on installing redhat for
the alpha, this may not be possible or practical. Is this digital Unix I
have for the decstation or the Alpha?

	Ok that is enough brain teasing for now. I am sure that I will have
more questions as this goes along.

	Michael A. Turner