[SunRescue] [OT] Digital Equipment Questions

linc rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 09:27:12 CDT 2001

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Michael A. Turner wrote:

> 	Now the questions:
>
> 	1. In hooking all the items for the decstation up can I string them
> together? all the peices have SCSI 1 style connectors on the backs of them,
> matched pairs. I got cables that I can use to do this stringing together. I
> am not sure if it makes a difference on which of the two connectors on the
> back i hook to/From. Also do I need to terminate the last one with a plug in
> terminator?

You can scsi chain them together provided they all have unique scsi id
numbers, then put a terminator on the last one.

> 	2. I need some sort of monitor for this decstation, or some way to
> read output. It has what appears to be a video card in one of the exspansion
> slots. It is of BNC type with a screw type sheaf that I do have the cable
> for. What can I do about getting some sort of signal for this, I got a lot
> of cables with this (basically as we where cleaning out the store room this
> was in I told them to through anything that said digital into my pile) so if
> I should look for a particular cable for this let me know. Can I get a video
> card for this system that does straight VGA? Anyone got one for trade/sale?

No monitor needed here.  Slap a terminal on it (quicker anyway).  Use a
null modem cable on port marked 3 (I believe) on the back.

> 	3. What can I load on this to get it working and how can I load it?
> Is their any way to hook a cd-rom drive to this to lead from that sort of
> media?

On the DS5K133?  Yeah sure!  Hook a scsi cdrom to it, and burn a copy of
NetBSD PMAX to a cdrom and install.  These are great machines.  If you
have troubles installing from cd (happens sometimes) follow the "helper
disk" instructions on the NetBSD PMAX installation instructions.

> 	4. On the Alpha I want to load some sort of *nix operating system
> but all teh docs I have read lead me to beleive that this is desinged for
> windows NT, a bad thing in my opinion. I would like to load the digital unix
> onthis machine but from reading the instructions on installing redhat for
> the alpha, this may not be possible or practical. Is this digital Unix I
> have for the decstation or the Alpha?

You already said it has Linux on it..  Try it out.  To get in without the
password boot it up and at the LILO prompt (or SILO, VILO - Alphas
derivitive) do a "linux single".  That should get you into single user
mode where you can change the root password.  Then reboot.

-Linc Fessenden
--
 10:20am  up 41 days, 22:18,  5 users,  load average: 1.25, 1.54, 1.69