[SunRescue] Sun 4/670 problems

Michael Graziano rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 00:46:38 CDT 2001

This thread doesn't seem to have generated much interest (c'mon, I
know somebody else has to have one of these old crates lying around!).
I figured I'd post an update on where I am at (which isn't too far from
where I was, but it's an improvement I suppose) -

In a burst of energetic activity, I have completely disassembled my
670 (for what is probably the first time in its 11 year lifetime).
I will be taking pictures of the whole extravaganza before putting
it back together and I will drop another note in this thread when
I have them up.  In the mean time I'm busily searching for the source
of my mysterious "Unexpected Phase = 0" error (see below), and
carefully cleaning the dust and rust specks from the innards of my
beloved monster.

I looked at the board the drive cages connect to in hopes of finding
my problem and noticed that there are three resistors on the left
side looking toward the connectors as though inserting the drive tray).
Do these suckers terminate the SCSI bus for me (*clueless look*)?

A bit more info, the drive enclosure on my machine only has one SCSI
port (not the SCSI In/SCSI Out I've seen mentioned here).  I don't know
if that gives you folks any more clue about it or not.  There are also
4 power connectors and 4 ceramic fuses on this board (I will try to
make pictures of the whole disassembly available this weekend, so if
anyone thinks they might be helpful let me know and I'll post the URL)

On the brighter-than-a-billion-watt-lightbulb side, there doesn't seem
to be any damage to the boards inside the 670 from when she fried the
disk adapter (thank your favorite deities, I doubt I could repair too
much damage on something this old).  Unfortunately this still leaves
me in the dark about the "Unexpected Phase = 0" error, so just to be
safe the old multimeter is coming out this weekend to test the
SCSI-Related bits.

I will still sell my first born (or my brother if you can't wait) for
some technical manuals or schematics.  I don't know if a FEH exists
or if any of you have one, but it would be great if someone does.
The same basic idea holds as in my prior mail:
> manuals, whatever for these old beasts I would much appreciate a
> copy (scanned, photocopies (I'll pay for paper and shipping), or
> original manuals if anyone is willing to part with them for a
> reasonable price).

Thanks again,

/~mikeg