[SunRescue] Sun 4/670 problems

Michael Graziano rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 28 17:03:20 CDT 2001

I recently tried to upgrade the HD in my 4/670 from a 2GB to a 9GB.
Upon dropping the new drive in and doing a probe-scsi, the boot monitor
displayed "Unexpected phase = 0", and would not recognize any of the
drives.

Something tells me this might be a termination issue, but I'm not 100%
sure so I figured I would ask here - I'm not even sure how the bus
should be terminated, the looped ribbon cables are kinda odd looking
and I've never seen that kind of configuration before.

I don't know if it is related or not, but this same 670 fried a SCA
80<->50 adapter about a week before the upgrade (in the same drive
tray where I now get the "unexpected phase" error).

While I'm asking, if anyone has technical docs, schematics, repair
manuals, whatever for these old beasts I would much appreciate a
copy (scanned, photocopies (I'll pay for paper and shipping), or
original manuals if anyone is willing to part with them for a
reasonable price).

Thanks,

/~mikeg