[SunRescue] Re: smalltalk is cool! squeak on Unix is amazing!

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 13:01:36 CDT 2001

[ On Tuesday, May 29, 2001 at 09:27:10 (-0400), Joshua D. Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: DNS Security (was: RE: [SunRescue] hosts file And DNS files??)
>
> Now, the deal is that we can't easily do the equiv. of
> perl -e "print \"hello world\";"

Well I thought you could do:

  echo "Transcript show 'hello world'." | squeak Squeak3.0image /dev/stdin

but this doesn't seem to work quite right because "some primitive fails".

(maybe the VM thinks it should read other stuff from stdin?)

You can do this though:

	echo "Transcript cr; show: 'Hello world!'; cr." > hello.sq
	squeak 3.0image hello.sq

(it's a pretty silly demo, given that you have to fire up the GUI just
to see the output!  :-)

> in any of the small talks I've seen.  But then, small talk is for real
> programs, not quick scripts (unless you happen to have a small talk based
> OS, which I doubt you do).

However you can write scripts in smalltalk for squeak, and in
combination with the '-headless' option you can do some amazing things
without knowing that you're running a smalltalk interpreter & VM.

I've already been exploring ways in which I can change the VM so that I
can use stdin/stdout/stderr just like any other unix program and
therefore make it even more "natural" for scripting....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>