[SunRescue] Re: smalltalk is cool! squeak on Unix is amazing!

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 13:11:41 CDT 2001

Squeak is interesting.  I could see it being it's own OS someday.
Initially, I'd like to see a fbcon mode for it so that we can do without
X.  Obviously not ideal for most current linux users (or people who want
3D graphics), but it would mean that then all that is needed is a minimal
linux install and away you go.  I'd be really interested in seeing a
SqueakOS.  But Squeak's VM would need some major changes first.  I'm
trying to get a low level undering of how smalltalk VMs in general and
Squeaks specifically work.

Since both Java and Small talk run on virtual machines, I wish someone
would make a gas module to allow programming the VMs directly.  It might
make things easier for little ol' me to understand.

Another project that I find interesting: common lisp and scheme in
smalltalk.  Especially if CL classes could call smalltalk classes and vice
versa.

--
Joshua Boyd