[SunRescue] smallest portable vt100?

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 04:35:05 CDT 2001

Bill,

The rub is going to be the battery, IMHO.

You could go very small, like the IBM PC110 (486 palmtop, TFT screen), but
that tends to cost about $400-500 for a decent kit, or something
inexpensive, like a 386 laptop - but the 386 laptop would require you to
most likely buy/rebuild the battery pack, bumping cost up to over your $150
threshold.

If you could find the money, the Portege 3020 from HiTechCafe.com would have
been a great option at $450, but they appear to have finally sold-out.

A Toshiba or IBM 486 laptop with a good battery may be your best bet, but
the weight will be high...

That $150 target is rough... Your targets of weight, battery life and
low-cost (<$150) are at odds, something will most likely have to give. The
best bet is a 486 from a friend with a known-good battery, IMHO.

Maybe a Thinkpad 701c - that would address small, batteries can be gotten
easily, and with a 486 processor, Linux/*BSD is an option. I have seen
starter kits for < $100 at recent computer shows in my area...

Good luck,

Ken