[SunRescue] smallest portable vt100?

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 02:54:29 CDT 2001

I have a need for a small-as-possible-but-still-decent-keyboard
portable computer/handheld/etc capable of functioning as a
9600 baud serial console terminal (VT100 emulation) for a Sun
machine, that can run on batteries for two hours or so while driving
the serial port.

(I'm tired of not having a console available for machines when I need one
while installing boxes in the datacenter....)

I've been looking at getting a Poquet PC (http://www.cadigital.com/palmtop.htm),
but they're around $150, which is more than what I wanted to spend.

There's always the Palm/Newton angle, but I want something with a *real*
keyboard.

I'll go with an older P75 laptop if I *have* to, but something smaller that
I could carry in a backpack or kit bag would be best...

80x25 screen, 9600 baud serial port (standard DB9 or DB25), and decent
keyboard with all keys (esc, etc) is pretty much all I require.

Suggestions?

Bill

--
Bill Bradford