[SunRescue] Caldera owns Unix? WTF?

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 18 07:23:37 CDT 2001

No, unfortunately UNIX was originally a trademark owned by AT&T. They
started enforcing the mark long before it became generic, and then assigned
it to the Open Systems group who has continued HIGHLY selective enforcement
action against anyone using the trademark. The open systems group actually
has control of the trademeark "UNIX".

What caldera bought was the intellectual property rights to all original
AT&T UNIX codebase, as well as any code derived from it etc... etc... etc...

They are also legally obligated to continue any existing and enforcable
licensing agreemnts that AT&T (and later SCO) made with respect to the UNIX
codebase. This includes the SysV elements of Solaris. If you look through
much Solaris source code, and documentation you will often see something
like "licensed from AT&T corporation" and/or other legalese.

Chris Byrne