[SunRescue] 450mhz Ultra 2

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 20:08:41 CDT 2001

Brian wrote:
> well, Sun's "official word" and reality tend to be two completely different
> things. :)

Indeed.

> > My techs tell me that they have heard of software fixes
> > that can trick the Motherboard into thinking that the
> > processor only has 2MB Cache.... This has never been verified.
> this sounds like hokey crap that i will avoid.  this stuff in general tends to
> be buggy at best.

Wrong. From the ok-prompt type 'limit-ecache'. This is how you can
get stock Solaris 2.6 to boot on E10K or Enterprise class systems w/
CPUs w/ 8MB of cache (which stock 2.6 didn't support.) The limit-ecache
command cuts it in half, 8->4 and I assume 4->2. The other trick is
to patch the jumpstart image w/ the latest kernel patch.

> i'm not in the market for this just yet, nor will i be any time soon, i was
> thinking in the future when hopefully 450/4 prices will have dropped a little
> due to US-III CPUs being more common.

I *know* someone mentioned to me about using 450Mhz chips in a U2. I don't
know *where* this was, tho. I think someone on IRC, and they verified it w/
a psrinfo -v.

-Jon