[SunRescue] help a guy run 2.6 on his 670MP

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 20:07:48 CDT 2001

> eesh....  in my opinion, you don't want to.  I spent about 3-4 months
> actively working on the linux/parisc port...  My HP 712/80 now runs
> nextstep, because the whole process disgusted me *sooo* badly.  (granted,
> part of this was the people I was working with...)

what should i know.  i've got an apollo 700 with a flakey io board and no
memory that i would like to get an OS on.  i ended up being an admin on an
HP [mumble,mumble,mumble] many years back, and i absolutely detest HP-UX.
what should i run on it (assuming i get the needed hardware to make it run)

> PA-RISC, in my opinion, is too bloated for a RISC implementation, and both
> the processor implementation, and the general hardware implementation of
> the parisc machines seem almost intentionally obfuscated.

well, this _IS_ HP we are talking about after all, why wouldn't it be
obfuscated? :)  on the other hand, explain "too bloated for a RISC
implementation" i'd be curious to know what you mean.

> Then again, I still find parisc assembler better than powerpc.

don't have experience with either.

> Then again, I still strongly prefer m68k assembler to anything else, so my
> opinion might be a little off base. :)
> -- Sam

oh, you mean the Assembler of the GODs(tm)?  there is nothing but love for that
CPU IS.  from me and everyone i know.

>   Argh.  I would VERY MUCH like to see some noncommercial OS on PARISC
> machines.  Those machines are readily available very cheaply, and some
> of them are VERY impressive in terms of performance.  Especially
> floating-point performance!
>    -Dave McGuire

i'd love to get that apollo 700 box running.  just cause i know the hardware
rocks, but i HATE HP-SUX.

-brian