[SunRescue] 450mhz Ultra 2

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 19:58:17 CDT 2001

> The official word is that Ultra 2's only support
> processors with up to 2MB of Cache.

well, Sun's "official word" and reality tend to be two completely different
things. :)

> We have tried making modifications to the systems,
> however, have never been able to get the 450/4mb
> CPU's to work.

hmmmm.

> My techs tell me that they have heard of software fixes
> that can trick the Motherboard into thinking that the
> processor only has 2MB Cache.... This has never been verified.

this sounds like hokey crap that i will avoid.  this stuff in general tends to
be buggy at best.

> The bottom line is why pay for a 450/4 when the 400/2 Mb CPU's designed
> for the Ultra 2's are considerably cheaper...
> Naji

i'm not in the market for this just yet, nor will i be any time soon, i was
thinking in the future when hopefully 450/4 prices will have dropped a little
due to US-III CPUs being more common.

400/2 CPUs will probably do me just fine anyway.

thanks for the info!!

-brian