[SunRescue] help a guy run 2.6 on his 670MP

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 20:14:06 CDT 2001

>> i'm a huge fan, i think NetBSD rocks.
>
>  Yes it does.  It's capable of amazing amounts of work on even the
> slowest of hardware.  And on fast hardware, it's GODLIKE! 8-)

that's not even the cool selling point.  it runs on a freakin sun2 for crying
out loud.  talk about your mondo geek points. :)

>   I'm told that 8 is broken out-of-the-box...the DNS resolver doesn't
> work or something like that?  Sun is a stuck on NIS and NeXT was on
> NetInfo...and they both suck big hairy moose weenies.

BS.  on both accounts. (don't know about NetInfo)

DNS works fine out of the box for me on every sol7 and sol8 box i have ever
installed.  no tweaking needed.

would you rather use NIS or add user accounts to hundreds of sun boxen?  me?
i'll use NIS anyday.  NIS+ on the other hand.....

>   Is it useful on Sbus Ultras yet?  I remember Eduardo Horvath basically
> abandoned getting the Ultra1/2 systems working when he got an Ultra10.
> Everyone around my area was very disappointed about that.

i haven't really checked up on it since then.  it does run balls to the wall on
the PCI boxen though.  missing some hardware support, but mostly stuff that
tends to live in big SMP machines anyway, so not a big problem.

>   Yes they have.  It's all online on their web server.  If you want to
> see even the actual assembler instructions, with enough context to
> make them useful, download and install the VIS SDK (it's free) and
> look at the *.il files in the lib/ directory.

i'll definitely have to add that to my super long list of things to do. :)

>   As far as I can tell, it's not an issue of OS support...it's an
> issue of compiler & assembler support.
>                  -Dave McGuire

i knew it was /something/ like that. :)

thanks for the info!