[SunRescue] Re: OT: Advice on Certification

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat May 5 13:13:06 CDT 2001

> For UNIX people, it gives me more of a sense of respect, in that they had
> things going well enough somewhere that they had time to take the courses,
> and talked their management into paying for it. :)

so you would respect me less because i don't have any certs??  or does that
only apply to people with less experience? (i've got 10+ years)

> But as others have said here, it's what you know and what you can do, and
> how well you present your abilities and experience. The training is good,
> especially if it's not out of your pocket and you get paid for the time
> you're there... but it probably won't get you any jobs. It might be a good
> way to get started on the road to the side of good.

maybe certs aren't viewed in the highest esteeme [sic], but if you are just
starting out and have no experience, a cert should at least be able to get you
a pretty ok junior admin job that will get you the experince.  from there you
will be able to advance on your own without needing certs (although you don't
need to ignore them)

don't really have too much to say about the subject since when i got into this
field you were laughed at if you had certs. :)

-brian