[rescue] Another fine business decision for us axp-lovers

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 25 14:48:32 CDT 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On June 25, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> > Hold up a second.  SGI is also heading towards Intel.
>
>   Uhh, what?

>   SGI had one Intel-based product line that is failing.  This doesn't
> constitute "heading towards Intel".

They are the ones that keep talking about moving towards intel.  According
to SGI, the whole reason for the linux/origin2k port was to work on the
scalability issues they would face when they came out with an Itanium
Origin3k.

And all you have to do is search SGIs site for the work Intel and you see
a lot of collateral evidence.  For instance:
http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2000/february/itanium.html
http://www.sgi.com/alliances/intel/index.html

>   IBM makes a whole lot more than that.  I'd go so far as to say their
> PPC and other Power chips are insignificant in the face of their
> other businesses.

Probably, but they are still a major force in CPUs, even if it is a small
part of their business.

--
Joshua Boyd