[rescue] Another fine business decision for us axp-lovers

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 09:45:06 CDT 2001

"Joshua D. Boyd" wrote:

> > Probably because the fact that the Octane-series is based on the same
> > 175MHz R10k Octane that made it's debut in '96-'97, and that's 4-5 years
> > ago. From what I've been told the only difference is in the processors,
> > graphics and perhaps some backplane-specific chips. Oh.. and the
> > blue-ish skin. Same box, but turbocharged with a butt-ugly "SGi" logo.
>
> I though that all new Octanes and Octane2s shipped with something like
> 300mhz or 400mhz r12ks now.

Didn't I mentioned that? "difference in the processors", "based on the
R10k Octane".
Same chassis = old box, in most peoples eyes.

> > Although, IMO there's no need to upgrade the Octane above the mid-level
> > specs, cause of it's enormous I/O power. If you need the
> > latest-and-greatest in graphics, and where money is not an issue, you
> > could afford a smaller Onyx2 and get some serious graphics horsepower
> > with guaranteed "investment protection".
>
> Yeah, a low end Onyx2 costs $80k, and a low end Octane2 costs $50k.
>
> However, if you step back to regular Octanes, things are much cheaper, and
> most people probably want at least mid if not highend graphics (for the
> texturing).

High-end graphics for Octane costs lots of $$$. If you want
graphics-power and, I repeat, if money is not an issue, people tend to
look at the Onyx. Much more scalability bla bla bla.
I'm speaking of own knowledge, since upgrading our 195MHz single- and
dual-CPU Octanes is costing a _fortune_.
People here need processing-power, therefore faster CPUs, but they're
expensive. I'm still trying to convince some people here to buy an
Origin-box instead of throwing sh*tload(tm) of money on desktop
workstations. Heck, they're only Solid Impacts! :-)

/Bjorn