[rescue] Another fine business decision for us axp-lovers

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 25 17:19:53 CDT 2001

On June 25, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> >   SGI had one Intel-based product line that is failing.  This doesn't
> > constitute "heading towards Intel".
>
> They are the ones that keep talking about moving towards intel.  According
> to SGI, the whole reason for the linux/origin2k port was to work on the
> scalability issues they would face when they came out with an Itanium
> Origin3k.
>
> And all you have to do is search SGIs site for the work Intel and you see
> a lot of collateral evidence.  For instance:
> http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2000/february/itanium.html
> http://www.sgi.com/alliances/intel/index.html

  Corporate web sites exist primarily for investor and stockholder
relations and that sort of marketing.  (or so the local suits keep
telling me)...If you walk down Wall Street waving a big Intel or
Microsoft flag, everyone will love you.

  Meanwhile back at the ranch...they have an Intel-based product linea
and a MIPS-based product line.  The intel-based product line isn't
selling, and the MIPS-based one is.  Am I being too simplistic about
my interpretation of this?

         -Dave McGuire