[rescue] FDDI vs switched 100BaseTX, vs SPARC LX

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 11:45:09 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 10:06:12AM -0400, Loomis, Rip wrote:
> Hmm...well, yes, I can force one port on that
> switch into 10/half mode (which is what I've
> done on one of our switches here at work to
> support older Sun boxen that demonstrate this
> problem), but I wanted to find a *real* fix.
> If I ever swap where a system is, I don't
> want to have to remember which port on the
> switch is dain bramaged.

the real fix is to get the switch to auto-negotiate.
barring that, forcing the port will do the trick.

> After cruising around the web, I think I'll
> try some ndd incantations based on info in
>   http://www.netsys.com/sunmgr/1997-01/msg00000.html

this won't help you.  this is for the problem that a lot of
Sun hme hardware has with properly autonegotiating with certain
switches.  the LX is 10/half, that's it, so it isn't going to
try and autonegotiate, but the switch need to be able to figure
it out.

> and see if that helps.  The wacky thing is that
> I know the LX is coming up and getting carrier--
> if I go watch the blinkenlights on the switch
> while the LX is booting, I see the link light
> come on at about the right time (ifconfig le0 plumb)
> but then go out again within 5 seconds.  If
> I configure it by hand, then perhaps it will
> work...or maybe I'll just deal with a hub.

sounds like the switch is trying to talk to the sun and fails.
look into getting the switch to autonegatiate properly, or
just force it to 10/half on the port the LX is on and just
try not to forget that in the future when you move everything
around. :)

-brian