[rescue] FDDI vs switched 100BaseTX, vs SPARC LX

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 09:06:12 CDT 2001

Hmm...well, yes, I can force one port on that
switch into 10/half mode (which is what I've
done on one of our switches here at work to
support older Sun boxen that demonstrate this
problem), but I wanted to find a *real* fix.
If I ever swap where a system is, I don't
want to have to remember which port on the
switch is dain bramaged.

After cruising around the web, I think I'll
try some ndd incantations based on info in
  http://www.netsys.com/sunmgr/1997-01/msg00000.html
and see if that helps.  The wacky thing is that
I know the LX is coming up and getting carrier--
if I go watch the blinkenlights on the switch
while the LX is booting, I see the link light
come on at about the right time (ifconfig le0 plumb)
but then go out again within 5 seconds.  If
I configure it by hand, then perhaps it will
work...or maybe I'll just deal with a hub.

Thanks--

--
Rip Loomis
Senior Systems Security Engineer, SAIC CIST

[[SNIP]]