[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 14:27:13 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 10:57:01AM -0700, Devin L. Ganger wrote:
> when a support contract is wasted money, or a crutch that a
> non-competent admin relies on to cover their inadequacy.  But there are
> certainly many circumstances under which it is not best use of an
> admin's time to re-invent the wheel and work out the solution to
> problems other people have beaten.

One thing I've noticed:

when I worked for an isp:

"I dont care how long it takes or what you have to do, fix it"

Now, when I work for a Baby Bell:

"If you have to spend more than 30 minutes on it, say fuck it, call
 in the extreme support contract and get a SE on site - we pay for
 it, we might as well use it"

We dont end up with many "sysadmin could have fixed it" problems,
tho - most of our failures are due to obscure hardware issues.

(we have an AlphaServer 8400 with *32* SCSI controllers, for example..)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net