[rescue] Re: [geeks] Re:Support Contracts

Les rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 14:58:50 CDT 2001

I can certainly agree with Devin on this score.

There is also the responsibility on the admin's part to use every
available resource to get a critical system back up and functioning
as rapidly as possible.
My employers spend the money for contracts and I am EXPECTED
to initiate an incident within a very few minutes of a system outage.
If I do not do so, I better have a very good reason
(like the phones are out, my cell phone is dead,  the phone companies
are all on strike and nobody hears the yelling)
If I have the problem fixed before I get any help from SUN that's fine.
If Sun fixes it, that's fine. If a reboot solves it, that's fine.
In my experience, the suits do not care who or how or why.
They just want to know WHEN.
And if when is not soon enough too many times, somebody else
will be sitting in my seat.
You might call it a safety net, my bosses would call it a survival net.
THAT is what contracts are all about.
The admin part comes in mainly from
"OK, how do we stop this from happening again?"
 or "how do we fix it quicker next time?"

I love to learn new things and I learn fast under pressure, but
the $$$$ flow into the checking account is the main measure
of how well I'm doing, & I don't make much while unemployed
and looking for a job!!
I prefer job changes to be at my own pace and decision times.

Les