[rescue] howto make multiple main boards work on a Sun Sparc 670/MP

Chris Petersen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 13:39:28 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 12:24:56PM -0400, James Fogg wrote:
> I made it to within 20 credits. I hated my teachers and stupid classes. More
> credits for non-core studies than I thought appropriate. Many profs were
> clueless on their primary subjects and the cluefull ones were like little
> Hitlers who were deeply insulted that they weren't out making bigbucks in the
> industry.
>
> I actually started as an EE major, went CS and ended up DP (doctor of
> partyology). I Blutowski'd (for you young wippersnappers, Blutowski was the
> name of John Belushi's character in Animal House - he got a 0.0 GPA, known in
> my circles as Blutowski-ing).
>
> My mistake was finding way awesome summer intern work (Bose, Prime,
> Proteon, Digital, Raytheon..... easy in the Boston area). With a little money
> in my pocket I got spoiled and did stupid things, like spend it on things that
> needed gasoline (and more money). With the mounting bills and _extreme_ bordom
> at school (many topics I already knew) I left.

Gee, this is all starting to sound very familiar...I'm beginning to think
one of the new pre-reqs for rescue should be lack of a degree :)

I started out as an ME, went MSE (manf. systems), then MIS, then left that
school (Junior year), got married, started back up at a local Uni as CS, and
kinda tapered out of that...The transfer killed me, as the school I started
at (GMI Engineering) was mainly a tech-focused school, so I've got squat for
credit in the "liberal" studies...

My mistake was being a co-op engineering student from the get go - it's
tough to sit through crushing calc exams then go back to work term and watch
& do what "engineers" really do all day long...

I blame my father primarily - as our school term job, my buddies & I admin'd
the CIM lab full o' Sparcs (my first true admin job).  When showing off our
work during one parents weekend, my dear old dad made the comment that I
seemed to enjoy this Unix stuff and didn't understand why I hadn't looked
into going into computers all along...The rest, as they say, is somewhat
history...

Of course, falling in love with my lovely wife (after stealing her away from
a good friend & housemate) didn't help with accelerating my desire to hit
the "real world" quicker.  That, and the "ok" paycheck I was offered for
joining the Engineering Systems team @ my co-op sponsor (Hey, $28k is a
*lot* for a college junior @ age 20)...I've advanced since then, of course,
but by rough calcs on Bill's comments, I'm a bit behind still :)

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer, Industry Services, Unigraphics Solutions Inc.
Email: havoc at apk.net