[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 17:25:55 CDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> Aren't the zSeries machines even more tightly controlled that the Crays?
> I heard one place (old Byte maybe) that you can't buy an IBM mainframe,
> you can only rent them.  I've also heard that every IBM mainframe

Wrong, though it is normal in this world to lease OS and application
software.  It's also normal to price both on the size of the machine they
will be running on, there can be a 10x price differential between licenses
for the same code.

MS isn't doing anything new with their licensing changes, consumers are
just bitching about it more than businesses have.

-James