[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 16:20:44 CDT 2001

On June 13, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> In my (admittedly limited) experience, it seems that it's the hardware,
> not the software that predicts the long term stability of a machine.
> I've seen NT machines with 2years+ uptime, and NT machines that need to
> be rebooted every weekend to avoid the inevitable crash during business
> hours.  Granted, memory leaks and any number of software problems can
> crash a machine, but I feel that it's moreso the hardware that makes or
> breaks uptime, and I would put much more confidence in Sun hardware than
> Dell or Compaq hardware.

  Both the hardware and the software are very important.  If the
machine experiences memory corruption due to poor bus timing
tolerances, the machine will likely crash.  If the OS leaks memory
over time until the software strangles itself, the machine will likely
crash.  It can go either way.

         -Dave McGuire