[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 14:34:16 CDT 2001

Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

>   Yup, Raqs and Qubes run Linux.  The MIPS-based Cobalt products
> kicked ass.  The newer Intel machines... [yawn] just another PeeCee.
> Damn suits.

I've heard plenty of horror stories about the MIPS-based machines -
unstable custom-patched kernel, unreliable hardware, broken compiler
suites, grossly insecure out-of-the-box* and so on.  I even heard
that they hadn't released the source for their kernel patches although
I haven't had that corroborated.

* - which is absolutely not acceptable in something sold as a ready-to-go
internet appliance.  Whether it's acceptable otherwise is open to debate,
but is not Linux's fault, but rather that of those putting the distribution
together.

--
David Cantrell | david at cantrell.org.uk | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

      Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
      but that's no reason not to give it            -- Agatha Christie