[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 15:50:49 CDT 2001

On June 13, David Cantrell wrote:
> >   Yup, Raqs and Qubes run Linux.  The MIPS-based Cobalt products
> > kicked ass.  The newer Intel machines... [yawn] just another PeeCee.
> > Damn suits.
>
> I've heard plenty of horror stories about the MIPS-based machines -
> unstable custom-patched kernel, unreliable hardware, broken compiler
> suites, grossly insecure out-of-the-box* and so on.  I even heard
> that they hadn't released the source for their kernel patches although
> I haven't had that corroborated.

  Hmm, interesting.  Having used several of those machines, I can't
confirm any of those points.  As a matter of fact, I dispute every one
of them.

  But even if any of that WERE true, does that justify taking the SAME
CODE and moving it to a crappy architecture?

> * - which is absolutely not acceptable in something sold as a ready-to-go
> internet appliance.  Whether it's acceptable otherwise is open to debate,
> but is not Linux's fault, but rather that of those putting the distribution
> together.

  For a machine marketed as an "appliance", I agree 100%.

     -Dave McGuire