[SunRescue] OT: Shipping Damage

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 28 10:34:49 CST 2001

Things I have personally seen:

SGI disk array with forklift marks on the skins.  (only two drives dead)

128 (if memory serves me) drive array (forgot maker) with over TWO WEEKS
worth of work in configuration, DB loading, etc. DESTROYED by running the
forklift right through it at the airport...

Sun 386i "top box" with *every* plastic panel broken.

The aforementioned monitor.

And a few more.

What really irks me is way shipping companies try to weasel their way out of
the responsibility for their actions.  In the case of the destroyed array,
when it arrived at the CU they insisted that it had been in that condition
when it arrived at the shippers, and that it was our fault.  Amazing....

-Pete