[SunRescue] OT: UPS and FedEX

Brian Dunbar rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 28 00:05:26 CST 2001

I was engaged on a project to configure/ship/repair laptops for a company
rapidly expanding their sales force - we were pumping out 20-30 laptops a
week (average) for months - and we used FedEx and UPS.

Started with UPS (preferred by the customer) but items kept getting .. lost
and broken.  Switched to FedEx - and all went well until an entire week's
output not only disappeared, but didn't even make it to the FedEx depot -
was signed by the pickup guy, but never made it into the truck, per their
tracking log.  Between the voice/emails from a dozen upset managers across
the country and the general chaos, it was evening of the next business day
before I tumbled and realized NONE of my previous week's work had arrived
(details are hazy at this remove, but that's close).  Between UPS' death of
a thousand cuts and FedEx's, ah, creative theft, the losses were about
equal.

Point being that they're both run by people, given to error, and usually at
the worst possible time.

brian