[SunRescue] Fwd: Re: which driver do I need in the kernel for sound in a sparc LX?

Matthew Haas rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 19 19:22:14 CST 2001

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Dave Reader wrote:

> I can confirm that debian works.. howver ei've not got far with this yet..

My LX has Debian/SPARC on it as well and I too have sound (mainly MP3s).

> You can persuade mpg123 from debian potato to compile with some minor
> changes - and it plays fine - but i've not yet figured out how to control
> the audio.

Believe it or not, my system is not Debian Potato but Slink... I've
updated the kernel (and the kernel alone) to 2.2.14 (had sound since I
started playing with it at 2.2.12). I use mpg123 for MP3s, and I also had
to tweak the source to get it to compile (the buffering -b option does not
work).

To control the audio-- I can ajust the volume using a program called aumix
that I also had to compile myself. (Actually Linux/SPARC kernel developer
Dave M. pointed me towards it).

> unfortunately i accidentally deleted my patches for the debian source -
> but i will recreate them at some point, so if you need them let me know..

Debian source? As in the kernel source or mpg123 source? I just used the
stock Linux kernel... no debian anything.

> does anyone use any different players/tools? - all of those which i tried
> failed except for mpg123..

All I've had luck with are mpg123 for a player and aumix for volume
control. MIDI isn't there along with a lot of other functions.

 -    |||       Atari 8-bit!  Star Wars * SPARCbook 3GX * SUMMER!!    -
-     |||      400/800/XL/XE  Battlestar: Galactica * SPARC * Linux    -
- |  | | |  | 2600/5200/7800  NetBSD1.4.2 * StarTrek * Galaga * SCSI   -
 - ||  |  ||     Lynx/Jaguar  Star Raiders * Descent * Voltron * UNIX -